The Most Efficient Way to Study for the SAT
This article was originally published on Socratic Summer Academy’s blog.
- Kids not in school? It’s the perfect time to get ahead.
- Test prep is more important than ever right now — it’s an easy time to fall behind.
- There are lots of great resources out there, but watching a video or studying alone simply can’t compete with live classes.
- We’ve been teaching online for years — we know how to make it work.
- Read more on our blog.
Now is the Time to Begin Preparing for the SAT!
Kids not in school? Don’t let them fall behind. Take advantage of free time and get ahead on preparing for college by raising their SAT scores.
The most efficient way to raise scores? An online bootcamp.
Why should I do an online bootcamp right now?
With students out of school or doing a lot of independent learning, it’s impossible to avoid knowledge falling through the cracks. Many students will fall behind in their GPAs and test scores right now (it’s why so many colleges are going test-optional.).
However, you actually have more free time than ever to prepare for the SAT! With many schools going test-optional, SAT scores will, therefore, be able to set you apart even more — if you’ve prepared and get the best score you can get.
Why is an online bootcamp better than studying by myself?
Many students are completely drained by all of this independent learning — and for a good reason. It’s difficult to keep yourself motivated to consistently work towards a goal when you don’t have tangible rewards, like a good grade on a test. Moreover, it can be nearly impossible to teach yourself something you don’t already know — that’s why we have teachers in the first place!
While there are great online tools out there, from Khan Academy to YouTube tutorials, what these miss are the live interactions. Classroom learning is important because it allows students to engage with teachers, to ask all of the questions they have, and to go at the pace that works for them. Watching a video and working alone will never have the same level of engagement that a live class will.
Why an SSA bootcamp?
Not only have we been teaching the SAT exam for over a decade, we’ve also been teaching online for that long. While many companies are adjusting to online learning, it’s something we’re well accustomed to — and something we know how to make work.
To keep our classes dynamic and engaging, we:
- Cap at 5 students
- Take practice tests every weekend, to ensure we know what needs to be worked on
- Include 1:1 tutoring with the teacher outside of class, so that your individual needs are met
- Use the Oxford model — mixing solo work (you can’t take the SAT with your teacher!) with in-class instruction
- Utilize the Socratic method, ensuring students set the pace and don’t miss anything
There’s a reason students’ scores regularly rise by 100, 200, and even 300 points with SSA — we’ve been doing this a long time, and we’re good at it.